- About Us
- Programs & Services
- You & the VCHC
- News & Events
How do I join the Board of Directors?
The Victoria Community Health Co-operative (VCHC) is seeking Board candidates who are committed to guiding us to three-fold excellence and who have expertise in at least one of the areas:
1. quality of our service in health care and wellness
2. operation of the business aspects of our co-operative
3. adherence to, and advancement of, the co-operative values and principles
Please check back for updates on the 2011-2012 Board Application form. All members who wish to be on the Board must first complete the application form and send it in. Candidates must then arrange a short orientation session before the AGM where elections for the board will be held.
The perfect Board!
The perfect Board is made up of individuals who, as a group, embody a wide range of experience, passions, skills and knowledge. Can you contribute some of the required attributes so that we may have the best possible Board for our co-operative?
The VCHC is looking for candidates for the Board of Directors who can offer experience, passion, skills and knowledge in one or more of:
- Health facility governance
- Business leadership
- Community engagement
- Policy development and advocacy
- Human resource leadership
- Co-op sector leadership
Directors’ Terms of Reference
Rights and Responsibilities
The Board of Directors is the legal authority for the Victoria Community Health Co-operative. The Board receives its direction from the Members, exists to serve them, and isaccountable to the membership. Each Director holds a fiduciary responsibility (See "Duty of Care" definition) for the organization. The Board is responsible for the Governance of the co-op, setting policy and overseeing its implementation.
Candidates for the Board of Directors must be committed to the principles of community-based, integrative primary health care and education and bring some of the skills and knowledge listed above.
The Board of Directors is required to govern the VCHC in accordance with its legal obligations and its policies. The Board’s primary responsibilities are in the areas of:
- Responsiveness to the direction, needs and interests of members and the wider community.
- The healthy life of the co-operative including ensuring the encouragement of new participants on the Board and other structures of the organization.
- The healthy day-to-day operation of the “business” aspects of the co-operative including the provision of services to our members and the judicious financial management of the co-operative, and the fair and encouraging management of human resources, both paid and volunteer.
- The development and evolution of sound policies.
As Board business is supported by email and other electronic communications, Directors require regular internet access and basic computer competence.
Directors are also encouraged to assist, in a learning role, in committee and task forces beyond their areas of current expertise.
Board Directors must agree to
- Uphold the Mission, Vision, Values and Policies of the Victoria Community Health Co-operative
- Attend and fully participate in occasional Board orientation and training sessions
- Attend and fully participate in monthly Board meetings
- Be aware of and disclose any conflicts of interest
- Participate in annual planning sessions
- Attend members’ meetings and the Annual General Meeting
- Bring experience and expertise to a Committee or Task Force
After the new Board is elected, it will arrange which directors will serve one, two or three year terms.
When the application is available, please submit you completed application electronically before April 30th, 2012 to Julie Foreman azayayoga at gmail dot com.